Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Worlds' Finest #2


"Rebirth II"

Paul Levitz – Writer
George Pérez – Penciller
Scott Koblish – Inker
Hi-Fi – Colorist (present day sequence)
Kevin Maguire – Artist
Rosemary Cheetham – Colorist (flashback sequence)
Dezi Sienty – Letterer
Wil Moss – Editor
Huntress created by Paul Levitz, Joe Staton, and Bob Layton


The cover is by George Pérez and Hi-Fi. This cover does show a direct scene of something that happens inside, and it's drawn by someone who worked on the inside pages — two criteria that are arbitrarily important for me. However, the cover is a bit too busy for me. There's a lot of machinery, debris, and red radiation everywhere. The black-and-white version does help kill that red glare, but it doesn't help Huntress from being lost in the background.

Our story begins with Huntress and Power Girl in Japan, battling the radiation-powered Hakkou.


After some fighting, we get a couple of flashbacks. Huntress and Power Girl are originally from Earth 2, but some accident brought them to this Earth five years ago. They eventually established new lives for themselves and through some research, learned that Darkseid, who had plagued their home, was driven away by this Earth's Justice League.


Back in the present day, Huntress and Power Girl resume their fight with Hakkou, who apparently destroyed a quantum tunneler that they had hoped would take them back to Earth 2.

The Good:

I can't complain that I'm completely confused by this story. I didn't read the first issue, nor any of the Earth 2 issues. But mainly, I think this issue is intended to be confusing to a certain degree. The main characters themselves have no idea what's going on, and to fully unravel this mystery, I'd probably need to read the entire series. But I'm not willing to make that kind of commitment. For whatever reason, Huntress and Power Girl just aren't very appealing to me.

One thing I will compliment this issue for is the handling of its two pencillers. I always hate it when two people have to draw the comic, but here they made the best of a tough situation. One team worked on all the flashback pages, and the other did all the present day pages.

The Bad:

No Flash. Isn't that a great shot of his legs? Yeah … not really. I can see why the databases missed him.  And although I am glad to see other comics reference the Darkseid invasion, I need to see a little more Flash to give this issue a higher score.

Final score: 4 out of 10

Next time: The final (maybe) overlooked passive Flash appearance in Team 7 #0.

No comments:

Post a Comment