Friday, April 24, 2015

Grayson #6


The Brains of the Operation

Writer / Tim Seeley
Plot by Time Seeley & Tom King
Artist / Mikel Janín
Colorist / Jeromy Cox
Letterer / Carlos M. Mangual
Cover / Mikel Janín
Assistant Editor / Matt Humphries
Editor / Mark Doyle

I love this cover. It's fantastic and fitting for what the series should be. Ironically, covers this beautiful and unique are almost too good for the story inside. I am so close to liking this book, but there are just a handful of things keeping me back. Anyway, in case you were wondering, that's Dick Grayson fighting Midnighter, the former member of StormWatch who can predict any move his enemy might make. But he doesn't matter to the Flash, so we won't talk about him.

In fact, none of this story has to do with the Flash. Today's mission sends Dick out to China to retrieve some sort of modified brain. There's some really weird stuff going on with killer whales on robotic spider legs, and ultimately Dick is kidnapped by Midnighter. His partner reports their failure to the director of Spyral, and it's in his office where we catch a quick glimpse of the Flash on his monitors.


We also see that Spyral is currently working on deducing Martian Manhunter's identity, but are stumped for the time being. Anyway, Dick goes on to defeat Midnighter, which only opens the door for more wacky adventures, all of which don't involve the Flash, so I'll leave the series of Grayson forever.

The Good:

Like I said earlier, I am really, really close to liking this book. But I just can't get into it. I think it didn't set itself up well enough for me in the first issue, and it kept getting wackier than I expected or wanted it to. I also find it odd that even though I skipped from issue #2 to #6, I didn't feel like I missed anything. I'm not sure if that's a strength or a weakness for an ongoing.

The Bad:

Little to no Flash. Once again, we're teased with the fact that Spyral is collecting data on the most powerful superheroes in the world. But for what? And will anything ever come from it? Sadly, we'll never find out on this blog, because this is the final Flash appearance within a Grayson issue under the New 52 banner.

Final score: 4 out of 10

Next time, let's take a quick diversion to Wonder Woman #36. I know I'm jumping around a bit, but I do have a reason. There are quite a few issues that seem to happen before Lex Luthor officially joins the Justice League, so we'll be a bit sporadic for a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment